Discover the Marche
Osimo (anc. Vetus Auximum) is a town and comune of the Marche, Italy, in the province of Ancona, 15 kilometres (9 mi) south of that town by rail. It is on a hill near the Adriatic Sea. Silk-spinning and the raising of cocoons are carried on. Osimo retains a portion of its ancient town wall (2nd century BCE). The restored Romanesque-Gothic cathedral (8th-12th centuries) has a portal with sculptures of the 13th century, an old crypt, a fine bronze font of the 16th century and a series of portraits of all the bishops of the old diocese of Osimo. The baptistery is from the early 17th century and also has a notable baptismal font. The town hall contains a number of statues found on the site of the ancient forum. The second oldest church in Osimo is that of San Giuseppe da Copertino (Saint Joseph of Cupertino), built in the 13th century. Under the town is a large series of tunnels with esoteric bas-reliefs. The new castle (1489), of which parts remain today, was built by Baccio Pontelli.
Loreto is a hilltown and comune of the Italian province of Ancona, in the Marche. It is most commonly known as the seat of the Basilica della Santa Casa, a popular Catholic pilgrimage site. Loreto's main monuments occupy the four sides of the piazza: the college of the Jesuits, the Palazzo Comunale (formerly the Palazzo Apostolico), designed by Bramante, with an art gallery with works of Lorenzo Lotto, Vouet and Annibale Carracci as well as a collection of maiolica, and the Shrine of the Holy House (Santuario della Santa Casa). The city has also a massive line of walls designed by Antonio da Sangallo the Younger, which were erected from 1518 and reinforced in the 17th century.
Recanati is a town and comune in the Province of Macerata, in the Marche region of Italy. Recanati was founded around 1150 AD from three pre-existing castles. In 1290 it proclaimed itself an independent republic and, in the 15th century, was famous for its international fair. In March 1798 it was conquered by Napoleon Bonaparte. It is the hometown of tenor Beniamino Gigli and poet Giacomo Leopardi, which is why the town is known to some as "the city of poetry". It contains the Teatro Persiani named after the composer of operas in the first part of the 1th century, Giuseppe Persiani, who was born in the town in 1799.
CAMERANO, the old "Cameranum" or "Camuran" or "Camborano" or, more simply, "Camburan" as it is called in slang terms, has ancient origins. documented the first human settlement in the area dates back to the period of the Camerano between the seventh and the fourth millennium BC, and was inhabited by the ancient Picenes. As a result, the territory passed from the control of Picenes to that of the Romans. In the Middle Ages, between the 'eighth and ninth centuries, the whole area dell'Anconetano became part of the Byzantine Pentapolis. The territory was divided into several Camerano ecclesiastical possessions. 1177 is the first documentation of the name "Castle Camerano" this castle belonged then to the Committee of Osimo and the Numana. In 1198, then, Camerano appeared, for the first time as an independent municipality and belongs to the league of municipalities created to counter Marcovaldo Posted by Henry VI. In 1212 Camerano included two consuls. In 1215 the likely dates from the founding of the Church of St. Francis. From the thirteenth century. the mid-fifteenth the town was first under the jurisdiction of Frederick II of Hohenstaufen, then under that of Ancona, thereby losing their freedom; during the same period there was a significant settlement of Dalmatians in its territory. In the sixteenth century. Camerano was found as Castle of Ancona. In 1625 was born in Bagacciano (parish of St. Germain) Carlo Maratta, painter and engraver, certainly the most famous citizen of Camerano. After a long life spent mostly in contact with the leading Roman families, Maratha (also called "Maratta") died in Rome of the Popes in 1713. Ten years after the death of Maratha was born in Camerano another character to secure relief Giuseppe Pasquali Marinelli, Latin scholar, poet, owner of an important collection of books stored in the current library. From 1797 to 1798 Camerano lived under the occupation of Napoleon; the defeat of these then, as recounted in the oral tradition, we stopped the British Admiral Horatio Nelson. Later that between 1815 and 1819 was Camerano a period of severe famine. In 1860, after the Battle of Castelfidardo and the defeat of the papal army, was occupied by the Piedmontese that annexed to the Kingdom of Italy. In view a strong social and economic crisis that marked the last decades of the nineteenth century, came to life in various philanthropic associations: in 1883 he formed the Society of Mutual Aid "Children of Work", which was followed, in 1885, the creation of Co-operative Bank and, in 1896, the Raiffeisen bank deposits and loans. Meanwhile, in 1872, also Camerano had built its own theater: the theater Maratti. At the beginning of the twentieth century were laid the foundation of the future development of industry and trade, which were then characterized the economic life and, consequently, 'entire history of Camerano to the present day. The initial semi-handicraft industry in character began to have more and more weight in the hinterland Ancona: in 1916 was born in Camerano the factory of musical instruments "Scandalli" and, in 1919, he formed the Cooperative "The Emancipation" for the manufacture of corsets and hats, which in 1926 merged with the '' Cooperative Union, "which held the same business since 1909, thus giving rise to '" Imperia ". Later, thanks to the significant development of numerous production and business activities, was born Raiffeisenkasse "Saint Joseph." Then came the war, but after the German occupation of 1943 Camerano was liberated by Allied soldiers in July 1944, not without have suffered extensive damage as a result of very dense bombing that hit the area. During the eighteen-day scotro between the German and Allied forces, the inhabitants took refuge in the underground caves of the country. After the war, the entrepreneurial spirit of Cameranesi finally became a reality. In 1964 from the merger of existing companies 'Scandalli' Camerano and "Sopranos" Castelfidardo, was born the factory of musical instruments "Farfisa" revolutionary for its time. Followed by small and medium industries of all kinds, committed, however, particularly in the field of woodworking, metal and plastic, as well as in the clothing industry. Industries that, even today, do not contribute significantly to the common wealth of the country.
Fabriano is a town and comune of Ancona province in the Italian region of the Marche, at 325 metres (1,066 ft) above sea level. It lies in the Esino valley 44 kilometres (27 mi) upstream and southwest of Jesi; and 15 kilometres (9 mi) east-northeast of Fossato di Vico and 36 kilometres (22 mi) east of Gubbio (both in Umbria). Its location on the main highway and rail line from Umbria to the Adriatic make it a mid-sized regional center in the Apennines. Fabriano is the headquarters of the giant appliance maker Indesit. Fabriano, with Bologna, is the only Italian creative city (UNESCO). The town is in the category Folk Arts (for the Fabriano's handmade paper production).
Castelfidardo (Marchigiano: Castello) is a town and comune in the province of Ancona, in the Marche region of central-eastern Italy. It is particularly remembered for a Sardinian victory over a papal army composed of foreign volunteers defending the Papal States, on September 18, 1860. The town's Museum of the Risorgimento, in the palazzo Mordini, commemorates the battle and places it in the wider context of the Risorgimento as a whole. It houses artifacts and documents of the period, including around 130 loans from private collections or other museums. Castelfidardo is also known as the international capital of accordion builders. A variety of other musical instruments besides the accordion have been produced in the town since the 19th century, such as the armonica.
This medieval town nestles amongst the soft hills, where nature displays shades that range from bright green to various gradations of yellow providing a refined array of colours. The Rocca of Offagna towers the city centre. The splendid panorama from Offagna. Celebrations during the medieval re-enactment. A CASTLE-LIKE HEART Like in an ancient medieval castle, a wall that goes up a very steep hill until it reaches the centre surrounds the heart of the city: the Rocca, the rock was built by the people of Ancona, between 1454-55, to defend their dominant position over the surrounding territories. The Rocca of Offagna represents a significant example of military architecture. Inside the Rocca, there is an exhibition of ancient weapons, but art exhibitions are also temporarily held here. A WALK THROUGH TIME Walking through Offagna is like taking a journey through time: the narrow streets, the downtown homes and the crenulated towers still possess the enchanting and almost fable-like atmosphere of centuries ago. These unique aspects are revived during the summertime celebrations that are held here; when the entire town interprets the old medieval ways through their famous historical re-enactments. THE LUIGI PAOLUCCI MUSEUM The halls of the museum "Museo Paolucci", host numerous pieces from the collections of the scholar Luigi Paolucci, a naturalist from Ancona (1849-1935). Paolucci left us with many important collections (paleontological, mineralogical, zoological, and botanical) the fruits of an entire life devoted to research and study. The rearrangement of the specimens enables us to fully see and gain an understanding of the diversity and specificity of Marche's natural habitats, through a rich mosaic of visual, educational, and scientific elements. The collections include unique specimens of species that no longer exist, precious elements that help us to reconstruct and understand the evolution and alterations the territory has undergone.
Close to our hotel, the Province of Ancona offers a variety of Museums, where to spend moments plunged into art and culture:
- CIVIC MUSEUM IN OSIMO: collects works saved by old and damaged Churches and private donations. The works cover a period that goes from the XIII Century to the XX Century;
- ARCHEOLOGICAL SECTION OF THE CIVIC MUSEUM: preserves stone artifacts from the prehistory to the Roman age;
- ARCHEOLOGICAL NATIONAL MUSEUM OF THE MARCHE, hosted into Palazzo Ferretti in Ancona, preserves documents and finds from the prehistorical and protohistorical age;
- TACTILE MUSEUM “OMERO” (MM 1351), always in Ancona, it is one of the few tactile Museums in the world, born to promote the integration of blind people;
- CIVIC GALLERY AND MODERN ART GALLERY, hosted into Palazzo Bosdari;
- CITY MUSEUM, devoted to the history of Ancona;
- MOLE VANVITELLIANA, the ancient leper hospital of the harbor, today most important exhibition center of the Marche.